Can anyone give me a definition of a "fairy tale" that will adequately
explain to primary children why they are classified as 398.2, instead of
filed under "E" as are the rest of the picture books.

The only thing I can think of is that they are no longer "owned" by anyone;
that is, even when we know who made up the story, it was so long ago that
anyone can retell it now.  The dictionary definition of a "fairy tale" can
also be applied to some "E" books "a fanciful tale of legendary deeds and
creatures."  And some "fairy tales", such as "The Little Match Girl" for
example, don't fit this definition.

Thanks for your help :-)
Wendy Stoll

LM_NET Archive Home