LM_Netters,
        Local Area Networks seem to be the hot item in the school systems
in my area this year (SW-VA and NC).  Along with this rush to network
schools are a number of questions and issues I'd like to explore w/ other
school LMSs.  I would appreciate hearing from you who are in schools that
have installed a LAN or are expecting to do so this school year.  I'd like
your responses to any or all of the following:
1) What type of network do you have?
2) What are the main applications of your school LAN?
3) What type of CD-ROM system do you have and how well has it performed?
4) What software would you recommend purchasing in network version?
5) Who in your system is responsible for technical assistance?
6) Approx. how available is your tech. support person?
7) Does your school have a network manager, and if so, who is it?
8) What are the primary responsibilites of the network manager?
9) If the LMS is not the network manager, what is her/his role in
maintaining hardware, software, e-mail, etc.?
10) What are the most common day to day network problems you face?
11) Overall how successful has your school LAN been in meeting the needs or
expectations of your school?

Also please give the size and grade levels of your school.
Again, don't feel that you have to answer every question above.  I'm trying
to get a feel for common pitfalls and *hopefully* how to avoid them, as
well as get a handle on the school politics of who is responsible when the
system fouls up.
TIA !

Joni Gardner
Sandy Ridge Elementary