Thank you for all your suggestions. Here's the compiled list. Sorry
it's taken me so long to pull it together.

From:             BDahlager@aol.com
Would appreciate a hit list, this is our curriculum, too, and it's
tough to fill. I'm at home now, and can only recommend Gary
Salisbury's "Under the Blood Red Sun", and, of course, "Call it
Courage"
(Sperry) is still valid if you're doing any historical perspective.
**

From:             Debbie Abilock <debbie@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
How about UNDER THE BLOOD RED SUN by Salisbury?
**

From:             fisherb@dexter.k12.mi.us (Bettie Fisher)
Would *Island of the Blue Dolphins* work?
**

From:             Roberta Hope Moecker <rmoecker@tenet.edu>
"Goodbye Vietnam" by Whelan
"Buffalo Boy" by Sherry Garland
"Year of Impossible Goodbyes"..can't remember author
**

From:             LibraryLu@aol.com  (Louise M. Schwarzchild)
"Island of the Blue Dolphins", by Scott O'Dell
**

From:            Andrea Avni (matok50@aol.com)
Have you seen Graham Salisbury's BLUE SKIN OF THE SEA?  It's a
collection of related stories about 2 boys growing up in Hawaii.  The
stories each take place at a different point in the boys' lives and
deal with realistic kid issues.  Very moving, and beautifully written.

Salisbury lives in Portland!  He has a 2d book
out, also set in Hawaii, which tells about Pearl Harbor from the point
of view of a Japansese-American boy.  I didn't like it quite as
well... but it also might fit your Pacific Rim criteria.
**

From:             redwood8@ix.netcom.com  (Helen Dittmer)
How about YEAR OF THE BOAR AND JACKIE ROBINSON and MEIKO AND
THE 5TH TREASURE, for a start?
**

From:             ruth shaw <rshaw@agt.net>
Two books on China that I know are "Forbidden City" by William Bell, it
is about the Tinammen Square massacre from a Canadian boy's point of
view.  The second is called "The Chinese Mirror", sorry I can't remember
the author.
**

From:             "Girard_Sherry" <girard_sherry@msmail.asd.k12.ak.us>
>From Alaska of course, the most famous is "Julie of the Wolves" and the
sequel "Julie"-- but then there is "Water Sky" by Jean Craighead George
that is set in a whaling camp out of Barrow-- "Dogsong" by Paulsen for
middle readers -- then if you use "Black Star, Bright Dawn" by O'Dell
PLEASE be very aware that it is FULL of inaccuracies and errors about
Alaska, the Iditarod, and it's native people -"Secret Moose" by Jean
Rogers and "Goodbye My Island" by Rogers Picture books include -- King
"Island Christmas", & "Runaway Mittens" by Jean Rogers -- "Sleeping
Lady"and "When Raven brought Light to the World" by Ann Dixon
(An AlaskanLibrarian)

Hope this helps a bit
**

From:             Deborah Attaway Hall <deborahh@tenet.edu>
Try "The bomb" by Theodore Taylor. It's good - I just finished it.
**

Linda Miller
Bonney Lake Elementary School
18715 80th Street