     I thought I had better put some of the ideas that I got for my
reading program to the LM Netters who are interested.  I really liked the
idea of the local fast food restaurants donating coupons and along with
that, the Teacher-Parent Association getting involved.  With the TPA
involved there would be ice-cream prizes, discounted prom and homecoming
tickets, t-shirts, Block Buster gift cerificates, and even a pizza party.
That would definitely have to get the students involved.
    Another great idea was that the students would select their reading
materials and every two weeks they would meet in the library  every two
weeks.  The teacher would rotate which groups met and the other students
in class would use the time to have writing conferences with their writing
groups and the teacher.  This idea was used in conjunction with English
classes.
    Another great idea was to get teachers and parents involved.  Send out
flyers and ask for help.  When a few teachers, parents, and posibbly the
principal get involved, have a meeting and serve cookies and tell them
your idea.  They may have ideas of their own along with some special
rewards.
    One school purchased sets of ten books of the same title in varying
degrees of difficulty.  They would get five sets per time.  They have a
booktalk in the English classes and invite studetns to sign up for thier
choice, they all read them, then the  faculty members lead the discussions
and they all get together for snacks adn drinks in the library.  There's
nothing mandatory about it and everyone can enjoy reading.
     Some other ideas were to brown bag lunch in the library and discuss
books, give extra credit points in certain classes, and maybe even get a
faculty member to do something daring, like kiss a pig or sit on top of
the school roof for a day.
     I'm sorry I didn't post these ideas earlier.  I hope some of you can
use these ideas.

Kiley Jo Koenig
North Knox High School
Bicknell, IN  47512