As is the case with many LMS's, I am responsible for equipment
troubleshooting in the 24-station computer lab at our K-2 school.
Children visit the lab under the supervision of their classroom teacher,
who often lacks interest and/or technical expertise.  As a result, I
encounter the same frustrating problem over and over.  I wondered if one
of you might have a solution.
   We are using a variety of IBM computers (some new and some ready for
a museum) with Windows 3.1 on all.  Many of the programs are old DOS
programs now running through Windows.  As a result of the slowness of
the computers, the snail's pace with which the programs appear to
respond and the ability of Windows to multi-task, the children
double-click repeatedly--thereby, starting a program two, three or four
times.  They are completely unaware (as are their teachers) that they
have done this.  Therefore, when finishing, they exit to the main menu
but never exit all applications.  Telling them to slow down is wasted
breath.  So, at the end of the day, I am left to exit several programs
before I can exit Windows and turn off the computer.  Is there a way to
disable multi-tasking?  It would be a great help.  I appreciate any
adivce (and hopefully, solutions) you may offer.
   Thanks,
   Kathy Hutton

LM_NET Archive Home