When I was in the mainland U.S. from Sept. 20-27,  I was astounded to find
out that very few people were aware of the arrival of approximately 3,000
Kurdish refugees on Guam around Sept. 18.  A massive appeal was made to the
civilian community here by the governor to help provide clothing, bedding,
etc.  With only 3-4 days notice, the military had to prepare to provide
food, shelter, and medical services for thousands of refugees, the majority
of whom are still here, although some resettlement of a few hundred to the
U.S.--their ultimate destination--has already been carried out.  Many
teachers and others in the civilian community are volunteering their time
up at Anderson A.F.B. to give English language lessons, help with sorting
donations, etc.

One would think that this extraordinary effort would be a front page story
in many newspapers at least.  However, in comparing stories with other
travelers, we find that very few people are aware of this.  The only person
I found of my acquaintances in Wash. state who knew about it was one who
reads the extremely small articles buried in the middle of newspapers.
Since I assume many of you are in that category, I wonder if you have heard
of this.  I read Time magazine and so far I have not seen this mentioned,
although I could have missed it.

I must confess, I have heard many people comment that they think think the
mainland media's coverage--i.e. lack of it--was politically inspired.  I
don't know the truth of that.  I just find it bizarre that this incredible
story has not been made known!  Or has it by now?
Any comments?

(I now have copious free time to write LM_NET messages, like my other
colleagues you have heard from on Guam.  Power is off, palm trees bending
and swaying, wind singing during Typhoon Dale's aftermath--we're still in
Typhoon Condition I, but it should abate soon.  The generator is on--thus
my computer use continues.)

Cheryl King, Librarian
Agana Heights Elementary
Box DE
Agana, Guam 96910     School FAX:  671-477-8040    Home FAX:  671-563-1091

School Phone:  671-477-3550     Home Phone:  671-563-1073

E-Mail:  Cheryl.King@KUENTOS.GUAM.NET

GUAM-Where America's Day Begins!

LM_NET Archive Home