Urban legend alert!!!

This has also come up on Stumpers this week. It is not an acronym for
anything. The word dates pretty far back to the beginnings of
English. Check the OED for the complete history. Or check the
Stumpers archives: gopher://crf.cuis.edu, under Library Resources.
Search on the word.

Dan Robinson
drobinson@info.hwwilson.com

> I recently learned something that I thought you folks might find interesting
> (and even useful at the upper grade levels).  The origin of the word "fuck",
> I ws told, is an acronym for "From Unlawful Carnal Knowledge".  May have
> been the polite way to refer to a child born out of wedlock, a little fuck.
> Interesting food for thought!
>
> --
> Johanna Halbeisen
> Woodland Elementary School(K-4)