Thanks to all the wonderful LM_NETTERS who responded to this inquiry:

        Does anyone have ideas for extension activities to use
>         with Steinbeck's of Mice and Men?  Thanks.
>
>         Need ideas for secondary ed student teacher workshop
>         on literature-based studies and activities.  Welcome
>         your input!!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Penguin has published a CD-ROM for Of Mice and Men which is quite good.
It includes the text, but much more.  Price is reasonable, $50 I think.

--
Diane Freeman           phone (303)384-9181
D'Evelyn Jr/Sr High     fax   (303)279-0694

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Have you used Barron's Book Notes CD Roma.  It is great - has lots of ideas.
There are about 75 titles with lots of goodies. It's only about $50.  I'm
sure that I'll be breaking every coopyright law, but I'll send you some of
"Mice & Men" if you send me a snail mail address.   judi roman

St. Peter's High School         jroman@llohio.wviz.org
104 W. First St.                (419) 526-9003 Media Ctr.
Mansfield, Ohio 44902-2199      Judi Roman, Director
Member of OASC, NASC, NHS, CH-1 & NWOCSA
++++++++++++++++++++++++++

From TCHRMARCIE@aol.com Wed Nov  6 22:56 EST 1996

Lots of ideas.  I have taught the book for many years.
Of course, the most popular one is to put George on trial for killing Lennie.
Another is to design a poster with quotes about the main themes of the book -
am I my Brother's Keeper, etc.
Send me a sase if you want more.
Marcie

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I got a total unit lesson plan guide on the net once.  I believe that it
was at the Penguin books site (www.penguin.com?)  They have lesson plans
and leson ideas for several books including Red Pony and Death of a
Salesman.

Sharon Ann McLarney
sg955bfc@post.drexel.edu
Drexel University, Philadelphia

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

One of our secondary teachers compares/contrasts Of Mice and Men to the
Great Depression.  The students are allowed to choose any aspect of the
story and to research the 1930's to discover relationships.

Beverly Pop
Weslaco High School Library
1005 W. Pike
Weslaco, Texas 78596
email bpop@tenet.edu

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Show the video with Gary sinese and directed by him.

Jerimiah Newell (jnewell@freenet.columbus.oh.us.)
c/o Barrett Middle School 345 E. Deshler Ave. Columbus, Ohio 43206
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
From JLundgard@aol.com Thu Nov  7 10:32 EST 1996

Of Mice and Men Classroom Pro:
     1. John Steinbeck was the 6th American to win the Nobel Prize for
Literature.  Who were the others?  What novels did they write? Who has won
the prize since 1962?
What foreign wwriters have won the Novel Prize?
      2. Students prepare posster projects on Novel and Pulitzer Prizes- What
criteria for example are used to select recipients?
       3. Compare novel with Of Mice and Men.
       4. Compare stage and screen versions with book.
       5.  Warren French wwrites that Of Mice and Men in a comedy, a dark
comedy--
  What are comic aspects of the story.  From book of critical essays by
Robert Murray Davis.  Who are the survivors in the story.
         6. Superman is one example of a sstrong and intelligent character.
 Name others.
         7. Compare with Flowers for Algernon.
         8.  Lennie is described as handicapped.  Research this area in
library.
          9 Examine how Steinbeck's views of people and their attempts to
understand good and evil are reflected in the body of his work.

           Most of the above taken from The Center for Lifetime Learning P>O>
Box 305 Easton, Connecticut 06612

Mary Ellen George                               Tel:    614-236-6475
Curriculum Materials Center Coordinator         Fax:    614-236-6490
Capital University Library                 Internet:    mgeorge@capital.edu
2199 East Main Street
Columbus, Ohio  43209-2394