Dear LM_Netters,
     A couple of weeks ago I asked for information about elementary computer
labs.  Thanks to all of you who responded--my principal was quite impressed!
      Almost all of those who responded stated that their labs were used on a
regularly scheduled basis, once or twice a week, for about a half hour.  Any
additional time in the day was used for small groups on an as-need basis.
 Most labs were staffed by a TA ,  and many were supervised by the librarian
in his/her "free" time.  Keyboarding skills are taught in third or fourth
grade.
       Interestingly, last week I went to a technology conference where Alan
November, the keynote speaker, made it quite clear that he did not reccomend
the use of computer labs for large group instruction.  He feels that the
computers are better used in the classrooms.  Fortunately, in my district we
have four computers in each classroom and a lab with 25 computers, so we can
use our technology in many different ways.

Sheilagh Menzies
Cairo Elementary Library
Cairo NY

LM_NET Archive Home