Since my original HIT about nontraditional families I have received more

I just reread an old book by Natalie Savage Carlson. It's called the
>family under the bridge. It takes place in France. The family is homeless
>and is befriended by a homeless old man. Ultimately he gets a job and the
>family becomes one, with their "grandfather". I don't know how realistic
>the story is but it is interesting.
>I also think of Cynthia Voight's Dicey's Song, and the others in that
>series. The grandmather becomes the primary caregiver.

>Missing May, Cynthia Rylant
>A girl tells how much she misses her grandmother after she dies.
>
>Goodnight Mr. Tom, Magorian.  A boy is sent from his mother to live in rural
>England during WW II with an older man with no family.  Wonderful book.

>Not just about a grandmother, but I just got a picture book called,
>"Robert Lives with his Grandparents". Author not available, since I'm at
>home.

Can't answer your question, but as the grandmother of an adopted grand
son, I hope all elem teachers discuss a broad range of non-trad. families
gay, lesbian, adopted, adopted from other countries, single parent,
living with g-partent, relatives and anything else, probably
foster family too.  Thanks

>Although it is not a grandmother, it is an older person serving as
>>caregiver in "The Great Gilly Hopkins." Gilly also wants to move to be
>>with her "real" family.
>
>>B. Byars not just anybody family--has a grandpa
>>Queenie Peavy--Dad getting out of prison
>>
>>_The Families Book: True Stories about Real kids and the People they live
>>     with and Love_ by Arlene Erlbach, Free Spirit Publishing, c1996.
>>ISBN 1-57542-002-3 (pbk.)
>
>>I can't help with books,but tell the grandmother to contact
>>Alcoholics Anonoymous.  They have an organization for the
>>childre on  A....I think it is called Rainbow Kids.  The
>>child could benefit from the group (probably she could
>>also.).

LM_NET Archive Home