>Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 12:13:54
>To: cgravereau@aol.com
>From: Nancy Strong <nstrong@lawton.k12.vt.us>
>Subject: Computer Use
>
>RE LM_NET posting....I think this is a major issue conscientious educators
must deal with emphatically and definitively.  Although there is value in
incidental learning, the time and place for it should not be during
instructional time except to an extremely minimal degree.  It is too easy to
shirk educational responsibility with our wonderful technological resources.
Too often I am seeing computer activities (and quite frankly, activity in
general) becoming the ends rather than the means and our schools essentially
becoming non-intellectual (even anti-intellectual) institutions.  Activities
should be carefully selected to support the learning of specifically defined
concepts or skills -- and I think this constantly needs to be kept in mind.
Attitudes toward learning and work are being carried directly into the
workplace which is why employers are beginning to have such difficulty in
finding employees who actually want to work when on the job!

>Having computers available after school for exploratory work or games
during computer clubs should lend the appropriate balance to the situation....

Nancy S. Strong, Librarian
Lawton Intermediate School                               !%
104 Maple Street                                         ! %
Essex Junction, VT 05401         Just a few miles        !  %
802-878-1388                        from beautiful    _________
nstrong@lawton.k12.vt.us       ~~~~~ Lake Champlain ~~\~~~~~~~/~~

LM_NET Archive Home