Frank Miele wrote:

>         Have any of you encountered similar problems or know
>         of any other libraians who have?  How do you--or
>         they--deal with the problem?  Has anyone seen any
>         literature/research correlating epicondylitis, or
>         "tennis slbow," with librarianship?

I don't have the facts on this, but I did want to share that coincidentally, I
have tendonitis in my right elbow right now and it is painful from time to
time.  I use a heating elbow ace bandage.  The heat helps, just like the cold
makes it hurt.  Last year, I had it on the other elbow and it seems to have
gone away, but from time to time I can still feel it pinch, but not too much.

My doctor doesn't seem to be too alarmed and has prescribed 800 mgs. of
Ibuprofin for pain and inflammatiion relief and applied heat on the sore
tendon.  He explained to me that apparently I don't exercise the muscles
overall in order for them to take the "work" I put on them and as a result
they get pulled and stretched.  He recommended when they feel better to
begin a weight training program for my muscles in my arms so that they
could be in better shape.  He said it was kind of like expecting your body to
run in a marathon without having trained first.

He also said that added weight on the body also puts a strain on the body's
muscles (which I am a few over) and could definitelty contribute to
muscle strain.

Take care and hope this helps.

Ms. Sylvia Castro
Fowler High School Library