Frank,

I am an academic librarian, and in the past couple of years (starting in 1994)
I have had tennis elbow in both elbows.  First the left, and this past summer
in the right.

The first time, I went to an orthopedist and did the full round of physical
therapy and anti-inflammatories -- to no avail.  I wound up getting a cortisone
shot, which did work.  (I did have to switch doctors in here; I didn't like the
way the first doctor handled things...including missing the mark with the shot.
The second doctor had much better aim, and the shot worked.)  They had asked me
if I had twisted my arm, which I hadn't.  I am an AV librarian, and as such
often have to lift heavy pieces of AV equipment; the doctor said that may have
done it.  Using the computer at work (which we have to do now, since everything
is automated) just aggravates it.

This past summer, it developed in my right elbow.  I didn't wait this time, and
went right back to the doctor that helped me last time.  He didn't try anything
else first, partially at my request, and just gave me the cortisone shot and
told me not to lift anything heavy.

I don't do much lifting, but do have to work on the computer.  (I also have
"mild" carpal tunnel in my right wrist, which is aggravated by the computer
work.)  I feel a twinge now and then, but for the most part, I'm OK.

I hope this helps, and hope your wife is feeling better.  I know how it feels
to be so incapacitated -- not fun at all!

Barbara Herbert  <herbert@georgian.edu>
Georgian Court College
Lakewood, NJ  08701-2697

LM_NET Archive Home