Hi, Carolyn,

As one of the list's resident technology persons, I must say I FULLY
understand how you feel--My best friend, however, IS the Media
Center/Librarian!  I love her dearly and value her expertise and willingness
to learn about technology...However, I must also say that I understand why
the webmaster would want to be part of the training process.

I feel that you are resentful because of the way in which this situation
evolved...You were neither prepared, nor asked, for "help" with the Internet
training on campus.  Please do not take it personally.  I am certain your
accomplishments are legion and everyone appreciates all you do...One thing
about technology: there is always room for more than one person's opinion,
views, or insights...Technology changes so rapidly that it is impossible for
ANYONE to stay abreast of it all...

May I make a suggestion? Try to work together...Perhaps quietly sit down and
find out exactly WHY he/she is now involved and what his/her expectations
are...Then, see if you are able to work together toward a common goal. You
may be surprised to find he/she is in awe of YOU!

Sometimes we feel threatened because we feel we are losing control, or are
not appreciated for our efforts.  As a technology person, I must tell you
that this happens all the time in my field...The "new", young "kid" comes on
the scene with all of his/her new ideas, but no practical experience and is
often resented...Administrators in particular often gravitate towards the
"new" person, simply BECAUSE they are new and different...However, one learns
that there is room for both...and that working together toward a common goal
is often a time to learn from EACH OTHER!  Perhaps some of the "new" ideas
only need to be toned down...or, perhaps they are truly inspired and should
be embraced and relished!

I truly feel we learn from ALL experiences, all points of view...

No one is usurping your position...You should like a warm, caring person, or
you WOULD have made an issue of this...Instead, you cared enough to reach out
to others...

Use that same caring and sit down and have a heart to heart with your
webmaster...Hold your head high for all of your accomplishments, see what
he/she has to offer, and make your presentation STRONGER, and BETTER because
of the collaboration!

Actually, you are very lucky to have such a person on site...running and
maintaining a website is a BIG job!  I BET your Media Center is a highlight
of the page!

Take care....That is my humble opinion!
Jane ;-)
AFCJane@aol.com