Unless you are fortunate enough to have a 1/1 computer to student
ratio, your electronic resources are valuable commodities and should be
used responsibly. By allowing students to download and play games, one
reinforces the notion that these expensive pieces of hardware that sit
on our desks are glorified Sega Saturn game systems, not powerful
research tools.

        Are students playing Nintendo in Language Arts classes? Probably not.
Then why should they expect to play games in the library media center,
or the computer labs? If a parent, school board member or other taxpayer
were to visit the school and see a group of students hunched over the
latest version of Doom, additional funding for electronic resources
could be in serious jeopardy.

        I believe you are correct in your position that electronic resources
should be used for educational purposes.  The trick is showing students
that learning something might actually be fun.

        Eric C. Bateman
        Churchville-Chili Junior High School
        Library Media Center

LM_NET Archive Home