        Oh, please don't tell me you have missed chitterlings.  (More
commonly referred to as "chitlins.") How about grits?  Scraple?

        Okay, I remember my grandma slaughtering a pig, taking its
intestines out and washing them (in cold water) so we could have
chittlings.  The intestines are soaked (for several days) in cold water
which is periodically changed.  When Granny thought they were clean
(immaculate, empty, almost clear when held up to the sun) they were
prepared.

        Preparation was varied.  She would dry some on the line (really!)
and then chop them up and deep fry them.  (These were days days before
cholesterol.)  Some were stuffed with spicy breadcrumbs and then (forgive
me) deep fried.  There was never a recipe.  It was a handful of this and
a pinch of that.

        As a child I adored the "treat."  Now, I am a bit wary of store
bought products and conscious of health.  You must remember that the
entrails must be scrupulously clean to start.

        Come on down and we'll take you to a good ole place for
chitterlings.

        Hey, what do you folks eat up north?  Bet you have something
yummy to share with us.

Debby Sue

Dr. Debby Sue Vandevender   3076 Silver Maple Drive  Virginia Beach, VA
23452-6772
e-mail:  debbysue@juno.com
phone/fax:  (757) 431-1017
Love is patient and kind...

On Wed, 13 Nov 1996 10:15:28 -0600 Dee Crawshaw
<dcrawshaw@STARBASE1.HTLS.LIB.IL.US> writes:
>One of my second grade teachers is using the Scott Foresman reading
>series
>and is presenting the poem "Charlie's Chickens" by Babs Bell
>Hajdusiewicz.
>A line from the poem reads "Charlie Chip serves chitlins with chilled
>chunks
>of cheddar cheese".   What are chitlins and how are they prepared and
>usually served?  I looked up the world chitlins in the dictionary and
>found
>that they are the intestine of a swine but that is all I could find.
>Thanks.
>Dee Crawshaw
>dcrawshaw@starbase1.htls.lib.us
>Marseilles Elementary School