Hi guys!  This is what I found out from some very helpful folks.  Now all I
have to do in keep reminding the people with with $$$$ not to forget the
library!!!  Thanks for everybody's help!

Terri Lent
Manassas Park IS/HS
Manassas Park, Va.
tlent@aol.com

---------------------
Just did about the same thing 3 years ago, and each year's budget has been
$60,000 for everything except furniture, so we're at $180,000 so far.  Next
year will probably be about $30,000, all materials and services.

----------------------------

Based on a recent middle school opening, I would budget a minimum of
$100,000.

----------------------------

I just spent $75,000 setting up a new Media Center for a K-8 with 450
students (books, reference, AV, some software - no furniture).

My rough calculations for your situation would be at least $100,000.

If you take 600 (students) x 10 ( books needed to be accredited) x $20
(average cost per book) that's $120,000 right there - without AV or
software...... but no one will give you enough money to set up an
accreditable library to start with so..... I rounded it down a bit...which is
how I came up with $100,000.

--------------------

I opened a new high school library three years ago.  I spent 150,000 on
technology and books.  I also had to buy a copy machine.  In the 2nd and 3rd
years, as we added grades, I spent another 50,000 on books.  We ended
up with 6000 books (including REF) and twenty-one databases available on a
computer network.  We have a 486/66 server with 1G HD and 20 Mb  RAM that
serves 2 circulation stations (Follett), and 11 student stations all with
DOS and Windows applications (Word, etc).  We also run 14 CD-/ROMs from 2
towers.  I usually can't remember all the programs on CD-ROM, but the best
are Information Finder, SIRS, EBSCO Magazine Article Summaries, Current
Biography, SIRS Renaissance, Magill's Science, Personal Medical Advisor
(EBSCO), Biology Digest, and under our Windows we ran Art Gallery, Bookshelf,
and Time Magazine Almanac.

Please remember to consider the renewal costs and the licenses into your
start-up costs.

networked encyclopedia and some stand alones, money for supplies and display
materials totaled $144,870.  If it would help I can give you a break down by
category.  I give you the figures for the junior high because its population
is 650.
        We are preparing to open a second high school in the fall of 1997 and I have
not received firm budget figures yet (the new LMS will start selecting and
ordering in January) but our proposal, again just for print and nonprint
materials, supplies and display items is for $220,900.00.  The high school
population will probably start at 1000 students with a capacity for
1200-1500.  So, somewhere between these two figures you might get a workable
number.

--------------------------

This would depend on your state standards or requirements for a school at
your grade level with your enrollment and would vary accordingly.  However, a
fair round figure would be 10 books per student at average book cost of
$20-25.00 per book and $50-75.00  per video/AV items multiplied by whatever
your standard is.  Sometimes this number varies depending on access to
regional video libraries etc.  Having opened seven new school libraries on
all levels, I know it is lots of work, but a genuinely rewarding experience.
Probably $150,000.00 would be a good beginning.  I would also be sure to
consult curriculum guides and teachers for cooperative selection as I'm sure
you already know.  Basic collection suggestions from companies are helpful
but I would never use them as major selection tools.

Five years ago we spent about $125,000 to set up for a 7-9 school with about
700.  I'm sure that would not do it at today's prices.

I opened a new middle school four years ago. I would estimate it took between
135,000 to 150,000 to get the       collection to a level where students had
materials to do research. I am just now purchasing materials for pleasure
         reading ie. more fiction, drawing books, joke books, etc. I still do
not feel that our audio-visual collection is         adequate yet.

LM_NET Archive Home