        After my technology coordinator and I attended a wonderful workshop
on the Internet, we decided that we should break up responsibilities for
Internet projects. As librarian, I would generally focus on using the
Internet for research, and as technology cooordinator she would focus on
using the Internet for special projects (keypals, virtual field trips,
interactive education projects, etc.) This way teachers and students know
who to consult when they have Internet use in mind. We realize that not all
projects will be cut and dry though, and there will be times when we
overlap.
        Another responsibility for librarians became very clear when we
were discussing Web Page design and posting. I asked who determined the
search terms when registering with a search engine, and the Web Master said
he did. We need to make it clear that librarians have the special training
needed to determine appropriate search terms for Web pages. I shudder at
the thought of all these amateurs trying to determine search terms! Can you
imagine the mess out there? No wonder we have to jump through a flaming
hoop to find anything relevant that matches our searches! What do you
think?!

Debra Mayer
<dmayer@bardstown.com>
Bethlehem High School