        I think the word you are seeking is

                chrysalis

        It is the pupa of the butterfly  and is often referred to as a
cocoon.

Debby Sue

Dr. Debby Sue Vandevender   3076 Silver Maple Drive  Virginia Beach, VA
23452-6772
e-mail:  debbysue@juno.com
phone/fax:  (757) 431-1017
Love is patient and kind...

On Fri, 15 Nov 1996 14:34:43 -0400 "Dennis G. Jones 941-773-3147"
<JONESD4@MAIL.FIRN.EDU> writes:
>Dear Friends:
>
>This is the day for oddball requests which I have been unable to
>answer or
>simply do not have the appropriate resources.
>
>A student was given an extra credit question:  What is a synonym for
>the
>word "cocoon" which is difficult to spell.  The student has to come up
>with
>the word and the correct spelling.  A thesaurus will give any number
>of
>synonyms, but they are all relatively common words which certainly are
>not
>difficult to spell.  As a further clue, the teacher said the word
>appeared
>on the cover of a record album at one time.
>
>Any ideas?  Thank you for any help.
>
>Dennis G. Jones
>Hardee Jr. High School
>200 South Florida Avenue