Thank you to all who helped me with my dilemma.  I received many useful
honesty and empathy.  If you asked not to be included, I left your response
off the list.  Also not appearing are the many letters of moral support and
commiseration but no suggestions that I received and answered indivdually.
I have come to realize that although it is important to educate our public
about what is required to perform professionally, dwelling on the problem is
counter-productive.  Our actions prove us to be professionals more than any
number of degrees hanging on our walls.  Once again, thanks for all your
support.  Oops ...:(  I seem to have hit the trash instead of close on a
couple of responses.  Sorry if your's isn't here. :(
This has become so long I'm making it a 2 parter.
Linda

****
My guess is that is has to do with our penchant for being egalitarian.  Most
of us don't call assistants "clerks", even when all they do is clerical work.
 There never seems to be the same problem in the classroom; parents and
children are very aware of who the teacher is, and who the "assistant" is.

The other thing is that we're always so busy, teachers and students will take
whomever they can get when they come in for help.  There is a lot of
"librarian" work that many assistants are perfectly capable of handling, for
example, helping someone find a book or use the card catalog.  The things we
do that only we do tend to be background things, like ordering and weeding
and budgeting, and so forth.

This is not as much of a problem in schools where the librarian is actively
involved in planning...then the teachers are VERY aware of our position.

Just some thoughts.
Wendy Stoll
Walden School
Louisville, KY

 *********

Why make a big thing out of a title?  You're the one that the administration
knows is the librarian; you're the one on the curriculum committee; you're
the one at teachers' meetings; etc; aren't you?  If she's doing a good job
and she's not the one saying she's equal to you, let the students call her
anything they want.
 ********

All our students, but not our faculty, call all four of us "librarians."
One of us is a secretary, one an aide, and two of us are librarians.

Faculty know because we were introduced at the opening faculty meeting when
we were new, and because we attend faculty meetings and the others do not.
I would guess that the difference between our professional personnel and the
others is more obvious to discerning adults.  You may have an unusually
capable aide, which is wonderful but has caused you some discomfort.

We do not try to disabuse the kids of that error.  It would be a fruitless
exercise with them--they are not paying attention anyway--the aide often
refers them to one of us when they have questions, but they are clearly not
paying attention to that!

I would not bother about the kids, but would try to think of some way to let
the faculty know.  Not sure how, though.  Do you have the kind of principal
you could ask for help in this area?  Or a "friend" on the faculty?  Good luck.
Joan Rosen                     *         Cheltenham High School
Librarian                      *            500 Rices Mill Road
jrosen@mciunix.mciu.k12.pa.us  *              Wyncote, PA 19095
fax: (215) 881-6406            *       telephone:(215) 881 6380

I too have found my assistant called the librarian.  I am in my fourth year
in this current job and by now most know the difference.  My assistant who
is a gem always points out to those making the mistake that she is the
assistant and not a librarian.  When asked by students, I tell them what my
credentials and what I do and what Diane does.  Diane is invaluable in what
she does and I try to make this clear.  It is not elitist.  I just point
out that we have different titles and do different things in the library.

It was discouraging the first year because even some of the teachers would
go to her first.  That fortunately has changed but it took work on my part.

Fran Patton
Albert H. Saley Library
Mountain Lakes HS
Mountain Lakes, NJ 07046
201-299-0623

********

I've been in my current job--head librarian at four different schools-- for
five years and I would bet that three people in the district actually know
how much ed. I have and how little the clerks have.  I think that of those
three, one actually sees my education as a positive.  It still irritates me
beyond reason that everyone thinks that the clerks and I are professional
equals.  But, how do you point it our without seeming to be a brat.  I now
ignore it as much as is humanly possible.

 ********

After some months as a visitor to many hospital environments--patients
think all men are Dr. and all women are nurses--I don't think we are
alone--I also noticed that hospital personnel deal with this "reduction
of status" with grace and dignity--

 *******

AS you know from your PL experience, everyone from the newest volunteer
to the director is a "librarian" in the eyes of our public.  Most times
its not worth worrying about.  The more you teach, the more your faculty
will remember you are as much a teacher as the person in the classroom.
Also when they see you as a member of their bargaining unit, it
reinforces their awareness.  In terms of the newspaper, it might be
approached from the viewpoint that you know the writer has a concern for
accuracy and you are happy to provide the new person's correct title.
Assuming the advisor for the newspaper is a teacher, you could also point
out that it would not go over well with the community or Board if they
thought there's two professionals for your building.  Good luck!

Therese Donahue
John Jay MS
Cross River, NY 10518

*******

Make name tags.  It always works. Make sure that there are VITAL
things that you do that she never does so that it is obvious who is
in charge.    It always drove me crazy when I went to the public
library and did not know to whom I was speaking.

 ********
Linda, Why does it matter. We get the better pay. We had the fun of going
to college. We get to talk to "Real Teachers" on this list and during the
day. I get a kick out of watching my para act like a Real teacher. She is
after all trying to model after me. It makes me happy for her to be able
to really help kids. If she can't handle something I get called in anyway.
I see our job as teachers to teach everyone, paras, teachers, parents,
administrators and of course the wonderful kids! The adults sometimes are
not so wonderful as you already know. They can be stubborn and they may
make ignorant assumptions about library-media professionals. Well, thats
when I tap into my secret stash of really really good teachers to help me
over the hump. I have my sister, who is a Phd, my group of (older)
English teachers, the wise crabby math teacher, my department head, my
principal and when I really need him every 5 or 6 years, my wonderful
library professor! I have had the same feelings that you have now. I got
a new attitude and am over that hump about 15 years ago! My para is still
here and so am I. She is older than I am, richer than I am, dresses
better, types faster and has opinions that I pay attention to!I let her
shine as much as I can and we have a great program and we make a great team!
Really-I hope that this helps-Good Luck!

 *******
Sorry, I don't agree with you.  As I see it , anyone who works in a library
helping our clientele is a librarian.  When teachers have an aid in the
classroom they call that person a teacher - and she is - for that time and
to those students.  When someone comes into the library to find information,
the person who helps them is a librarian.  You have the responsibility and
therefore the paycheck to run the library and anyone who is interested will
know that.  Don't worry, because someone else is getting the same title, you
are getting respect for what you do for the students and teachers.  I have a
lunchtime supervisor who is excellent with the students.  She not only keeps
order in the library but has made it her business to know the curriculum and
how to help the students.  To my mind, when she is here she is a librarian.
The students, and public when it is a public library, want help and service
when they come to the library and to them, whoever gives it is a librarian.
I have no problem with that.
Anne Howard, Librarian, Pierrefonds Comprehensive High School, Pierrefonds,
Quebec.

******

LM_NET Archive Home