I am appalled at the situation in Hawaii! To think that one jobber, and
Baker and Taylor at that! could be responsible for CHOOSING the books in
all the public libraries in any state much less one in the middle of the
Pacific Ocean, a state with such a variety of ethnic groups and so many
needs not found on the continent.  Why it reminds me of the takeover by the
federal government---another east coast entity---of Hawaii itself in the
last century when Hawaii already had a very fine royal family and
government of its own.

To give an argument from the point of view of collection building, let me
say that the increased use of interlibrary loan has made us all aware of
how much better off we are with a variety of collections.

Libraries nowadays share books and titles easily through interlibrary loan.
That means that patrons can get any book no matter what the local library
has on its shelves.  That being so, we are the RICHER for having MANY
different librarians choosing books.  No one person can appreciate all
needs or know everything that's out there.  But if each of our libraries
has a *different* collection bought by a *different* person or committee,
together we will have a much richer offering for our public, while we
individually cater to local needs.

Joan

Joan Kimball (jkim@borg.com)
Clinton, NY