Colleagues,
I'm sending this to the BigSix list also, so forgive the overlap.
1)
I'm now involved with a project at Linlithgow Academy (near Edinburgh, Scotland)
in which the school librarian and the geography department and planning to
mediate Internet resources by identifying websites which can be of use within
the geography curriculum and then download the sites (or part thereof). This
material, along with teacher and librarian produced material will then be put
on to a CD-ROM and accessed via the school network but using Netscape as the
access tool. The school has been fortunate in getting a file server from Sun
and a CD-ROM authoring system from Hewlett Packard. Do you know of any similar
projects taking place in your neck of the globe? I'd be interested to hear
about them. The project will look at a range of issues in relation to

* the identification curricular needs
* the criteria used to evaluate Internet resources
* issues of copyright
* issues of time (of the school librarian and teacher)
* issues of design of learning resources

2)
I hope that this does not breach the advertising rules of LM_NET but I have a
new book coming out in December 1996 :
Herring, James E : Teaching information skills in schools. Library Association
Publishing. ISBN 1-85604-176-X.  24.95
The book covers a range of models of information skills, including BigSix and
proposes a new model - the PLUS model : Purpose, Location, Use and Self-
Evaluation. There is an emphasis on the Purpose aspects and on the Use aspects
especially in relation to students using different kinds of texts but a holistic
approach is recommended. The book includes many actual examples from schools.
I'd be glad to hear your comments once it comes out.

Best wishes from Scotland,
James.

Please reply to :
James E Herring
Department of Communication and Information Studies
Queen Margaret College
Edinburgh EH12 8TS
Tel : 0131-317-3508 or 44-131-317-3508
Fax : 0131-316-4165 or 44-131-316-4165