Maybe what we really need is support from our faculty.  I feel really
lucky.  Our teachers tell students to specifically ask me.  They know
that I know the collection and the curriculum better than anyone else
here.  Some of this is the result of my serving on those myriad committees
and being involved in curriculum update.  Since I meet fairly regularly
with teachers  I blow my own horn and it gets results.  When I first
started working (in the middle ages) there was going to be a head of
department meeting.  I asked my husband if he thought I should attend.  He
said "If you don't consider yourself a head of department they never
will."  I went to the meeting and was a head of department ever after!
Joan Miller
jmiller@freenet.columbus.oh.us

On
Mon, 18 Nov 1996, Audrey Glick wrote:

> Maybe what we need is a uniform!  Or at least a name tag that identifies the
> librarian as librarian and the clerk or aide as such.
>

> >I find it interesting that ours is the one of the few professions (is
> >there another) where anyone working behind a library counter is a
> >librarian.  If you go to a bank, there is a teller, a bank officer, a
> >trust officer, etc.  If you go to a lawyer's office, there is a
> >secretary, a clerk, a lawyer.  If you go to a hospital, you can tell who
> >is a nurse and who is a doctor or orderly...why is this such a problem in
> >libraries?  People completely    disregard differences.  My assistant is
> >always asked by teachers to find things, help them with questions, etc.
> >No matter which level of public schools I've been in, this has been a
> >recurring problem.  SOmetimes, it's easier to be alone.
>   Audrey Glick
>     Worthington, Ohio
>       glick@iwaynet.net

LM_NET Archive Home