Judy,

We have the 3M system in our library (sorry, I don't know which model).  It
works well, but we have found the following things to keep an eye out for:

1)  We have large plants on both sides of the two gates to discourage people
from walking around them.  One of the leaves of the plant accidentally blocked
the sensor for a couple days, making it impossible for the alarm to go off.  We
repositioned the plant, and will be checking the gate (and plant) daily to be
sure this doesn't happen again.

2)  The convenience stores have recently begun putting security strips on
packages of gum, candy, breath mints, and cigarettes (I suppose in an effort to
cut their shoplifting losses), and these set our alarm off.  It does take some
time to check through things, and after eliminating library materials and
textbooks (which are now often stripped by the publishers), we ask about the
goodies.  We explain what we are looking for in an effort to calm/educate the
patron that there could be any number of reasons the alarm went off.  If we
find the strip on the candy, etc., we point it out to them (and you do have to
hunt for them - they are *small*!), desensitize the item, and apologize for the
inconvenience.

When we moved to our new building in 1993, we upgraded the system from an older
3M model.  That one would be set off by soda cans, aluminum foil, key rings,
clips on notebooks.  One summer, a religious sister was studying at our campus.
One day she continually set off the alarm...even when carrying nothing with
her.  The cause ?  Her metal cross!  Now, *that* was embarrassing!!!

Barbara

Barbara Herbert  <herbert@georgian.edu>
Georgian Court College
Lakewood, NJ  08701-2697