I am doing a project for a graduate class in which I have to solve the
following problem.  I'd really appreciate any feedback from experienced
Lm-netters.

I have been recently promoted to Head of Library Services in a school
system.  I have to have a budget plan (including salaries, suggested
raises, and additional hires) ready in 45 days.  Upon my arrival to my new
office, I ask to see the financial summaries for the last 2 years.  My
secretary refers me to Ms. Pinch, the school system bookkeeper.

I suspect Ms. Pinch, who has been there for 40 years, is a bit senile.  As
I talk to her, I realize that she cannot produce the summaries I need, but
seems able to reel off all sorts of numbers conservationally.  Alas, she
sometimes gives different numbers when you repeat a query.  I tell her that
I'll return for the required documentation.

Two days later when I return, she seems to have no recollection of my
earlier visit.  When I try to tell the Superintendent that I am having a
problem with Mary Pinch, he launches into this reverie about a what a
sweetie Mary is, how she is loved by all, and how she is considered a lynch
pin of the office.  I leave the office feeling rather discouraged.  What do
I do with Ms. Pinch?  How do I get the information I need to do my job with
such a person, especially when she is loved by all, but clearly
incompetent?  How much of a meanie am I supposed to be here? Help!

As I said,this is for a class project, and any feedback about similiar
experiences, or resources that I can use to solve this problem would really
be appreciated.

Tara L. Rivera
rivera@alexia.lis.uiuc.edu

LM_NET Archive Home