Sandra W. Griffith wrote:

> I just read/listened to the tape of Nightjohn, what are your thoughts on
> this book? Too graphic, ? okay with teacher/class? We are in a middle school
> 6-8

RE:  NIGHTJOHN

This is one of my most favorite books---of all time for YAs and every
kid should read and be exposed to what it says.

We use NightJohn in the eighth grade as a Lit Circle book.  It is such a
great story and certainly not too graphic.  Kids need to experience what
it must have been like for a slave who wanted an education.  I think
NightJohn is much better than Hatchet just because of the prose of the
story.  Give kids good literature and they will surprise you with how
they grow.

LM_NET Archive Home