Vicki,

I second your answer. I usually have problems with the 6th graders. They
know that I recommend books, teach skills, and help them locate
information while the other lady checks out books. However, they still
think that anyone who works in the library is a librarian.

By 7th grade, this has changed because they have learned that my clerk
seldom knows where to find answers to questions. When they do research,
they always come to me. I just finished a research project with the 8th
graders. The Eng. teacher thought it was so funny because when she would
try to help a student who had raised his hand, the student often said he
wanted me because "she knows everything. You know, she's read all of
these books." It's amazing how smart I get when it's research time. We've
had some good laughs the past 7 days.

All the teachers know the difference. My clerk is rather grouchy with
teachers and students and not very willing to help. She knows very little
about computers other than the basics of automated circulation.
 Some librarians in my district wear tags with their name & position.
I'm considering doing that because it bothers me to hear her called a
librarian when she's the opposite of what I consider a good librarian.

Catherine Purgahn
Groves Middle School
Groves, TX
purgahn@tenet.edu

 On Sun, 17 Nov 1996, Vicki M Sherouse wrote:

> I have read the posts and was especially irked by someone who said this
> was a petty thing and didn't deserve a hit... The problem arises when I
tell them to ask the librarian for help in finding difficult topics.  They, of
course, ask any
> of the three and often the clerks just don't have the knowledge to help
> them, so they return to me saying the librarian couldn't find anything.
> I do think the extensive knowledge that the librarian has is different in
> quantity and quality from that of a majority of clerical aides.  If not,
> then what are we being paid extra for?  Maybe the librarian needs a
> button saying "Ask me the really tough questions."
>
> Vicki Sherouse
> Missoula, MT

LM_NET Archive Home