I am wondering if there is anyone else out there in library-land who is the
librarian for more than one school?  The trend, which I think is terrible,
seems to be one professional for four or five schools, with the actual day
to day work being done by clerks.
I found out this week that I will probably never (?) be able to go back to
just one school.  So, I have to begin defining my job in this new context.
I have been in this situation for four years now, but I was told it would
change this year.  This week I was told it won't so I want some help in
defining this job.
Questions:
1. If you work in a district with flexible access, what role do you take?
I am assuming that most libs. in this situation spend most of their time
teaching classes.  If you don't spend most of your time teaching classes
what are your main duties?  I find that I am spending most of my time
putting out fires.  This is honorable work, but at the end of the school
year I don't feel that I have accomplished much.
2.  Do you train your clerks to catalog?  Do you farm out your cataloging
to other sources or do you do all the cataloging yourself?
3.  Are you the main tech. person for all your schools.  If so, how do you
get anything else done?
4.  When you cover more than one school, how do you schedule classes?  IE.
if you go to every school every week, how do you schedule 4th grade book
location skills class if you only see them once a week.  i find they forget
everything from week to week.
5.  How much teaching do your clerks do?
Well, that's a start.  I would really like to hear from you who are in this
position.  i am very happy with what I learned getting my MLS, but they
never covered anything like this.  It is exciting to be able to define your
job yourself, but it is also an enormous challenge.  HELP!

LM_NET Archive Home