        In Kentucky we have been implementing partnership teaching where
library and information skills are incorporated into whatever assignment
the teachers are giving. I am aware of all the assignments that my teachers
assign which may use library information. We also teach four research
papers (one at each level) in the english classes so that the research
skills can be taught part and parcel with these papers. This makes our
students ready to do research on their own. One trick I have is that I
teach students how to use Sears List of Subject headings in order to
increase their list of keywords to look up -- instead of just "Dogs", the
student would look up names of specific breeds, guide dogs, hearing ear
dogs, puppies, and pets. Suddenly they have not one, but at least six
different places to look. This also helps them to narrow their search.
Also, I tell them to read an encyclopedia article about their topic and
write down some questions they may want to investigate further. This often
helps them to narrow their topic. Check out "Nine Steps to a Quality
Reseaarch Paper" by Harry Stuurmans (Worthington, Ohio: Linworth, 1994).
Good Luck!

Debra Mayer
<dmayer@bardstown.com>
Bethlehem High School