More hits follow. Thanks again.

We are a high school of 1500 using Winnebago on a networked PC system.
For each magazine title we have, we assigned 5 to 20 bar codes and
placed each bar code  on some of our pockets formerly used for
sign-outs.  When students sign out magazines, they fill out a Magazine
Request form, 3x5 size, with their name, date, magazine title and
magazine date, copy # if you get more than one copy of a magazine.  We
scan a bar code assigned to the title of the magazine and put the slip
the student has signed out into the pocket.  When the student returns
the magazine, we find the pocket, scan the bar code in, and refile the
empty pocket for when it is next needed.  We've used this system for 6
years and it works for us.  This way we do not have to inflate our
holding statistics by assigning new barcodes to all of the new
magazines, the circ. statistic is still accurate. If you do get more
than one copy of a magazine, however, it is very important to have the
label reflect copy 1 or copy 2 or whatever. We have the most recent 4
years of the paper copy of about 90 magazines and store them in paper
princeton files.  We put a label on each magazine in the upper left
hand corner of the magazine with the date of the issue so we save time
searching for dates all over the cover.  Here, we also place copy 1 or
copy 2 info. (Danee Wilson)
********************

I have found the easiest method is to have a copy machine in the
library.  Students can make copies of magazine articles.  With most
articles being copied off the computer, not that many magazine articles
are being done.  Saves a lot of problems with checking out, checking in,
wearing out, becoming stolen, etc.(Robert Otte)
********************

I use the Follett Unison system, and my aide places a barcode on the first
page of each new magazine. I have made catalog entries in my database for
each magazine title we hold, and each new issue is treated as a new copy,
with the publication month/date as the copy or issue number. We went back
three years when we converted. Each year is given a new record to which we
add copies.Follett offers the option of entering temporary items (as may other
programs) and older magazine issues without barcodes require the student to
sign a slip with magazine title and date which we assign a temporary number
and and check out those items "on the fly".(Joan Eimas)

Debra Lyman Gniewek                    :dgniewek@sdp2.philsch.k12.pa.us
School District of Philadelphia        :(215) 875-3255
Office of Information Technology       : Visit Our Home Page
734 Schuylkill Ave. - Room 614         : http://www.philsch.k12.pa.us
Philadelphia, PA 19146

                 Visit the Librarians Online Information Network
              http://libertynet.org/education/schools/lion/lion.html