        Yes, indeed, there is a way to prepare Deep Fried Turkey.

        You will require about five (5) gallons of cooking oil in a huge
deep pot (much like a deep stock pot).
        The temperature of the oil should be about 360 degrees.
        The turkey should not be stuffed, should be thoroughly clean, and
should be have been seasoned the day before.  (Seasoning - rub turkey
with spices - sage, thyme, etc.)  Allow the seasoned bird to sit in the
refrigerator for about 24 hours.
        Truss the legs and tuck in the wings.
        Wrap a heavy wire around the "ankles" and form a handle (so you
can lift the bird out of the oil).
        Lower the turkey into the oil carefully.  Let it "fry" for one
hour (about a 12 pound bird).  Remove from oil and allow it to rest for
about 30 minutes.
        Carve and enjoy.
        Because the oil is so hot the inner and outer layer of skin/flesh
is seared and the oil does not enter the meat.
        I haven't had this since I was a little girl.  I remember that it
was delicious, especially with the yams, greens, stuffing (made in a
separate pan), etc.
        Someone has probably published the "authentic" history and recipe
of Deep Fried Turkey.
        Happy Thanksgiving!

Debby Sue

Dr. Debby Sue Vandevender   3076 Silver Maple Drive  Virginia Beach, VA
23452-6772
e-mail:  debbysue@juno.com
phone/fax:  (757) 431-1017
Love is patient and kind...

On Tue, 26 Nov 1996 16:58:40 -0500 Debbie Annmarie Vassell
<gs01dav@PANTHER.GSU.EDU> writes:
>I am a newly engaged teacher with my intended's family coming over for
>dinner. Unfortunately, I do not know how to cook. Well, I can follow a
>good recipe. But I can't create on of my own. Anyway, I am writing in
>hopes that a Southern Belle or Beau has the recipe for Deep Fried
>Turkey.
>I would like to try it on my guests. Thanks :)

LM_NET Archive Home