A number of you asked that I post a HIT to share the responses I received about
my question about fees charged to students for computer printout copies (to
help defray supply costs).

With a 4-day holiday coming up I will briefly give you a summary of the 10 or
so replies I have received:

computer copies: 1st two pages free, 5 cents/page thereafter
photocopy: 15 cents

computer copies: 1st two free, 5 cents/page after
photocopy: 1st two free, 10 cents/page thereafter

10 cents/page for all computer printouts with the following exception:  Word
processing for CLASS ASSIGNMENTS are charged to the department and not the
student.

A vote for no charge at all, but outvoted by administration.

5 cents per page for all printouts.

10 cents per page for COLOR printouts, no charge for B/W, BUT a 3 page limit.

5 cents for photocopies, 5 cents for computer printouts.

9th & 10th graders: $5 annual fee for computer supplies, plus 10 - 15 cents for
photocopies.  11th & 12th graders: $10 annual fee, plus 10 - 15 cents for
photocopies.

And a voice that must he heard:

"I think those costs are a part of your regular budget responsibilities.  You
don't charge kids for use of other facilities, do you?  A kid who wants a
photocopy of an article or something could avoid the cost by taking notes, so
the copying is optional.  Printing out an article from the computer is really
not optional, as the note taking would tie up the computer."

LM_NET Archive Home