Our high school library has a Novell network with six 486 three-year-old
workstations attached and running Windows 3.1  The Novell network is
connected to the school's ethernet on which we have many Macs running which
are connected to the Internet.  I have been successful in getting one of our
PC workstations connected to the Internet by loading Win95 which has TCP/IP
capabilities (Windows 3.1 does not).  Now I am ready to get all six
workstations connected to the Internet and must purchase additional software.
 The question I need to settle is whether or not to go with Windows 95 or
Windows NT.  Here are some considerations:

1.Our current workstations are 486 clones that are over two years old.
They have 8 MB RAM only.

2.We have a Novell network currently, but I have heard that Windows NT
will probably become the leading network software.

3. I do not know if all of our current programs will run in Windows NT. They
are: Follett's Unison, the Encyclopedia Britannica loaded on the fileserver,
and Roth's Poetry from the fileserver.

The questions I have are:

1. Can Windows NT client software run on the workstations on a Novell LAN or
do I have
to have Windows NT server software too and eliminate Novell?

2. How much RAM do Win95 and Windows NT need respectively?  Should I
stick with older software in order to use less RAM?

3. I know Win95 will work with Novell, will Windows NT work with Novell?

4. Should I assume that at some point I may be switching to a Windows
NT network because it will supplant Novell?

5. I need to purchase new security software as Fortress, our current security
software will
not work with Win95. I have heard about "WinShield."  How does this work? Do
you know of
any other security programs?

Sorry for the long message, but I was trying to be as specific as possible.
Any info you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Patt Moser
Concord-Carlisle High School
Concord, MA
moserp@aol.com