Dear Readers--

I, too, would be very interested in hearing from those of you who have used
fee based internet programs.  I am on an advisory committee for the Illinois
State Board of Education that is looking at statewide purchase of  programs.
 These will then be made available to the schools of Illinois at no cost or
at a greatly reduced price.

There are three librarians on this advisory committee, one teacher, a
district superintendant, one elementary principal, and the rest are from the
ISBE.  We want to make good choices that will really benefit the students.
Your previous experience with Scholastic Network, Electronic Library, and the
others would be great benefit to all of us.

Incidentally, if there are any other states, regions, large districts doing a
large purchase such as ours, I sure would like to hear from you.  This is the
ISBE's first attempt at this.  Our state library has purchased access to ten
databases from First Search that is available to all types of libraries in
the state.  They are represented on our committee, too.

Lou Ann Jacobs
Pontiac Township High School
Pontiac, IL  61764
LJacobs363@aol.com