A teacher is challenging three books in our library.
The titles are:

        Bones in the cliff by James Stevenson
        Mick Harte was here by Barbara Park
        Earthshine by Theresa Nelson

These three books are on a recommended reading list for
our state's Great Stoneface Award. I have copies of
several reviews for each title and will show them to our
principal on Monday.

The teacher objects to the language in the first two titles
and the subject in the third (Aids). She has actually made a
list of words and the page numbers where these words can be
located.

I would greatly appreciate messages from librarians who have
read these books and comments on their appropriateness in
a K-5 library. The book I need the most help with is
Earthshine. It is on the Great Stoneface reading list for
grades 3-6 but the reviews say it is for grades 6+.

Please send messages directly to me, not to the list.

thank-you,

Yvette

Yvette Viger                       |  Mildred C. Lakeway Elementary School
ymviger@moose.ncia.net             |  325 Union Street
Librarian / Media Generalist       |  Littleton, New Hampshire  03561

     "I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library."
                             Jorge Luis Borges