I am a prek-12 librarian at a rural school of 650 students in Illinois.  I
just finished reading _The Little Web Book_ by Glossbrenner (Peachpit
Press) and was pleasantly surprised to find plenty of positive reasoning
for internet use in DAILY life...this transfers to classroom/library
instruction as one of our many goals is to encourage life-long education.
I am a bit skeptical of the uses of surfing at school, but most of my
reservations come from its current lack of good & quick & THOROUGH search
engines & reliability of sources.  Of course, with life-long learning in
mind I must admit the "web" is a step up from the local coffee shop for
sound advice & research!

Check out the book..particularly Part 5: Art, Books,Computer help,
education, free software, games, government,home & garden, humor, jobs,
medicine, movies, finance, science, sports, travel.  Check out p. 123,
"Developing the Online Information Habit"!

B. Waters
libc@darkstar.rsa.lib.il.us

LM_NET Archive Home