Adrienne Ehlert wrote:

> I have enjoyed reading this thread (LMC horror stories) very much -- both
> the horror stories and the accompanying commentary, but have to disagree
> with the recent poster(s) who feel that the professors in library schools
> focus on theory (instead of practical matters), create an idealized
> picture (instead of the gritty reality) and who live in an ivory tower and
> never come into the trenches.  I am a recent graduate of an Information
> and Library Science Program which, while attempting to give us a firm
> theoretical base from which to work, also gave us many opportunities,
> requirements, and resources to work from to find out the reality of the
> contemporary library media center.  We had to do a practicum, we took many
> field trips to various local schools, and we were always steered towards
> projects that examined real issues and tested real problems.
>
> (apologies to Adrienne, but I edited for space, those areas I didn't address in
>my reply

 Last, working in a school can be a shock for many people who thought
that
> that was what they wanted to do with their lives.  That's what happened to
> me my first go-round with teaching.  I had good preparation -- did two
> stints at student teaching and volunteered in many classrooms but as we
> all know it was completely different once I started really doing it!  I
> don't think anything could have prepared me for some of the things that
> happened
> and I can't blame my professors for not anticipating it.

You're right that they can't anticipate everything, but it does help to
know that the pretty pictures they paint are not the only reality.
Should we hope for them? Sure! Should we expect them? I doubt it.
Neither does that mean that you can't, as you suggested, start working
toward them in any situation, but I still feel that too much emphasis on
the ideal can lead to unrealistic expectations on the part of new
professionals.

 I totally agreewith the person who commented that if you can think of
things the
> library schoolsdon't teach and which you think students should know, write an
>article
> about it.  I think LMS professors would embrace/assign articles like this!
> Or, better yet, become a Professor yourself!  4 years and you can not only
> set those professors straight but help to educate a whole new generation.

Sure we can--and the Deans and Tenure Committee professors will surely
appreciated our "purple crayon" disrupting their pretty pictures.

--
Gail Smith                        Edison Regional Gifted Center
gsmith@isbe.state.il.us                        Chicago, Illinois

Yesterday is history......Tomorrow is a mystery......Today is a gift
That is why they call it the present.

LM_NET Archive Home