Isn't it sad that people are so afraid that small references could alter
so dramatically their children's understanding of the entire universe.

One book every school library should have is Free for Me but not for
Thee- by Henthoff.  It is a balanced treatment of censorship from both
the right and the left.

I sent a news release from People for the American Way (many of you are
familiar with their yearly release on censorship) just as an awareness
booster on censorship---One teacher wrote back insensed--saying that
censorship was crucial -- did I support child pornography etc.  No matter
how hard I tried, I could not get this person to see that I don't SELECT
pornorgraphy---I imagine many of you are in the same boat....teachers who
like censorship....

You did a great job of handling this situation with the parent, not only
for that parent, but in your ability to preserve the integrity of your
collection!

Karen McIntyre  "Learn to listen to your own voice and balance your
Morton I.S.D.    terror with your confidence."  Richard Wurman
500 Champion Dr.                                Information Anxiety
Morton, TX  79346       806-266-5524            kmcintyr@tenet.edu

LM_NET Archive Home