Please help. We are a private school running a Windows NT 3.51 network with
approximately 25 Pentiums and 60 Mac 7200's and 35 various other Mac
machines, and around 400 user accounts for teachers and students. The
Macs(7200's) are running 7.5.3 revision 2 and open transport 1.1

We have a 3-Com 2500 Lanplex, 3-Com LinkBuilder FMS II hubs, and a
Livingston PortMaster IRX router using 10 Base-T Ethernet and a fiber optic
backbone.

The problem is arising with the Mac 7200 machines. When students log on
through the chooser on the Mac machines, the NT server successfully
validates their password and shows the available Mac volumes. When the
student selects the Mac volume and goes to close the chooser, the Mac
machines sometimes hang. When this happens the packet light on the segment
of the network that they are connected to GLOWS with traffic and prevents
any other student from logging in on that particular segment. This never
happens when I log as a system administrator, no matter if a machine has
hung or not. When I look at the NT system log the students that could not
close the chooser have had their log-on validated by the NT system but have
been logged off because they were timed out. Students that could not log on
on certain machines can successfully log on on other machines in the same
room. There is no pattern as to which machines will have the problem or when
it will occur, or as to what segment the problem occurs on.

Does anybody out there know of any problem with 7.5.3, the apple chooser,
Windows NT, or a timing problem that might be causing our trouble? We are at
wits end and have gotten no help from Apple or from the NT knowledge base.

Please send any help to the following E-mail account:

scotts@doar.heschel.pvt.k12.ca.us and
debrak@doar.heschel.pvt.k12.ca.us

Thanks for the interest.

Debra Kiamanesh