Amusing encounter:
I was in a local library, catching up on magazines (when you're not
working in a library, you miss those perks!)
 A former (middle school) student recognized me and stopped to say hello.
 Several minutes later he was back -- could I possibly help him with his
research problem for (now high school) History class?
As I was helping him, and 2 of his buddies, his mother showed up.
She was delighted but amused that I was 'working' with her son,
and asked if this would be considered "billable hours" now that I'm a
free-lance consultant instead of working in a specific school?
No, I told her: it's MY research too!  Besides, I was pleased that
1) he was polite and friendly after several years "apart",
2) he thought he COULD ask me for help, and
3) was even willing to recognize that he needed help with a complicated
assignment.

We DO make an impact on our student's lives and learning.

Alice H. Yucht   dba *Alice 'n InfoLand*
Library Management / Information Skills Consultant
141 North 7 th Avenue, Highland Park, NJ 08904
<AliceInfo@aol.com>

LM_NET Archive Home