Had a 4th grade mother come in today breathing fire!  Daughter had checked
this book out of the library at our Pre K- 6th grade school of 550 kids.
Is outraged that we have this book on the shelves for students to get when
their parents do not know that they can get this book and may not be ready
to discuss the matter with them.  Had a 15 minute discussion, brought up
the policy, asked if she wanted the reconsideration policy etc.  She wanted
me to call parents when their children were going to take out such books
etc etc--did not want to get to the reconsideration policy yet.  Wanted to
know what other schools do. I told her that I was sure that in our 6 elem
school district all of the elems have that book on the shelves. Told her I
would be glad to put the question out to my wonderful librarians listserv
and see what responses I got.  She is not sure what she will do.  I told
her I would get back to her within a week and we would talk again and
hopefully we could resolve the matter, if not, she should feel free to look
at the reconsid. policy.
BTW, we do not have It's Perfectly Normal out on the shelves at our school.
The nurse reviewed it and she thought that the format was too enticing for
early elems--so it is in her office with the card cat saying "go to
nurse's office if you want this book" --I did not feel good ab out that but
since I knew she would not back me if we had a challenge since she is the
one who teaches sex ed here, I had better agree on housing it there till we
build our middle school next year.
SO, what do you think friends, am I on the right track here ?
Trish Feld, Waterbury Vermont who may eat a pint of Ben and Jerry's tonight!

LM_NET Archive Home