Hello LM_NETTERS,

I need your advice on what to say to my paraprofessional.  I am a young
librarian who is still working on my master's degree.  Never did teach
in the classroom but went directly to library school after receiving my
teaching degree.  I started my current position, in August, as librarian
of two Kindergarten - 5th grade elementary schools.  My para has been in
her current position for 3 years.  Various comments have been made since
the beginning of school that have bothered me but I have not said
anything.

Yesterday, we had a group of 4th graders in the library.  I do a 15
minute reading time &/or lesson with them and then they have 15 minutes
to check-out.  Not a prime situation but I cannot change that, at this
time.  As they checked out their books, they gathered on the floor to
sit "quietly" and wait on their classmates.  The noise level was
increasing a little and I was on my way to them to quiet the students.
My para says, "It is not necessary for all of the noise.  This is a
library."  Of course, they did quiet down for a bit.

My first thought was to ask her what she meant by her comment but did
not want to do that in front of the children.  It has bugged me all
night and again this morning.  I decided to ask your opinion.  I do not
want my libraries regarded as the "quiet" place where you get books and
get out. I think she would like it to be that way.

Any suggestions from you will be much appreciated.  I will be happy to
post a hit to anyone that requests one.  TIA

Tammi Mitchell
Ulysses, KS
mitchelt@pld.com

LM_NET Archive Home