I've been reading with interest the comments made about the how of opening the
library at the beginning of the school year.  We always come back to time, don't
we?  I, too, put in lots of extra time, without pay, to get things done.  It's
worth something to me, because I feel that I've accomplished something to make
things better for myself--thus kids and teachers, too.  I've also come up with
my own little theory --philosophy may be better...
No offense to the guys out there...
I often think of myself (along with our school nurse!) as the "Mom."  I help out
the new teachers with small "gifts", advice, encouragement, ideas and materials.
 Ditto the older teachers who need a lift.  I stop what I'm doing to hear about
someone's trouble with a particular kid (often clearing up some questions I've
had), or even their own kid.  I try to be kind to all--without showing
favoritism  to anyone in particular.  (I don't like everyone, but I try to
"love" 'em all the same).  And, I'm finding, that more and more people are
stopping by...and often I can introduce them to a new book or video or software
goodie.  I save a special book for that special kid...and make exceptions
(secretly, of course) for many of The Rules.  It can be tiring, and I don't
always (usually) get all the "housekeeping" done--but  most of my "babes" seem
happy.  Unlike classroom teachers, my door is "open."
Anyway, that kind of role can't be "scheduled" or "listed."  Many people would
shake their heads and say it's a waste of time.  I happen to think it's worth
it.  And every once in a while...I actually get a nod, or a smile, or a hug, or
a wonderful comment of appreciation!
Pauline Herr, LMS                  pherr@int1.mhrcc.org
Arlington Elementary School             Phone: (914) 486-4960
Raymond Avenue
Poughkeepsie, NY 12603
District Web Pages: http://www.s390.ibm.com/arlington
   "He who opens a school door, closes a prison."  Victor Hugo

LM_NET Archive Home