Cheryl wrote about the lack of training in supervision she had received =
in library school.  She has a good clerk, but occasionally this clerk =
becomes confused about job responsibilities.

Cheryl, I thought you framed the problem perfectly.  You might even =
discuss it with your clerk at some PRIVATE time in just that way:  =
"Nothing at library school trained me for supervision.  You are a good =
clerk, and I depend on you."  Then work out a written job description =
for each of you, with her help.  You might, for instance, put her in =
charge of circulation (including reminders and shelving), supervising =
study hall students, and processing.  Tell her you'll help out over her =
lunch break, when her work reaches avalanche levels, etc.  But those are =
HER responsibilities and you'll rely on her to fulfull them.  You, on =
the other hand, will focus on instruction, research, and selection (or =
whatever).  With her own responsibilities, and a clear delineation of =
yours, she'll probably be more comfortable too.

However, as you pointed out, the fact that she is also a certified =
teacher means that she has in the past been responsible for curriculum =
and for managing a classroom.  She may have felt you were job sharing, =
in the absence of a written job description.

At the same time, ask her to advise you privately if there are things =
you (as a newcomer) need to know.  And promise in return that you will =
advise her privately if there are things that she (as a nonlibrarian) =
needs to hear. =20

Every clerk I've ever had has been more a member of the community than I =
am, since I've never worked in my own hometown.  They have all been =
extremely valuable assistants, however, and have been recognized in the =
building as such.  Everyone knows that they have key responsibilities, =
and that they shine in their work.

Holly Wolf  Macedon Elementary School  wolfh@vivanet.com

LM_NET Archive Home