I have kept quiet on this thread for a week because I was very stressed and
thought that was the cause for my reaction.  After 2 days of a holiday
weekend, I realize that I was wrong.  This thread still bothers me!

  I spent my whole week of preparing to open the library either in meetings
with teachers (most were in 1-2 meetings -- I was in all because my program
affects all areas -- what a time for a principa to remember this), laminating
for teachers, getting equipment for teachers, setting up their computers in
their classrooms.  I eventually locked my door at 4:00 on Thursday afternoon
(I was required to be at school from 7-2) to put new kids in my computer.
 After having 5 people unlock my door looking for me, I left!  I got to work
the next morning at 5:00 am and FINALLY got my bulletin boards up before I
was called on for other people's problems.

   Now that I've vented, let me say this.  Librarians work really hard
(obviously).  Without help or understanding of our jobs, teachers will never
realize what we really do all day.  At the same time, we need to understand
that they, too, have the interests of children to consider.  While I really
want to stay closed next week, I probably won't.  This is our first year in
block scheduling so this week is really like 2 weeks of instructional time.
 I'll be closed on Tuesday and probably Wednesday as I need time to train my
library aides (who get credit for the class) and finish putting kids in the
computer.  I will also talk to my principal about extending my
paraprofessional's contract to include the week the teachers come back and
extending mine if I'm going to do lots of computer setup in classrooms.

  I do know that I made a lot of contact with teachers this week who will be
much more willing to ask for my help the next time they're stuck with a
problem.  They also  have realized how valuable my input is and will seek it
out later.  I taught many teachers to do laminating which I would normally
have to  do (and will do for them once school starts).  They now appreciate
the time it takes us to do this for them.

  Yes, I have a ton of things to do (what's new about this??) and no time to
do them.  I was stressed but recovered (for now).  I don't think I'll ever be
as ready as I want to be for the first day of school but I do miss it when
school's not in session (about the week before I come back to work).

HAng in there!!!!

Terri Lent
MAnassas Park HS/IS
MAnassas PArk, VA