I used to joke with school librarians that all there was to the
job was dusting the books off every week or two and making
sure they were shelved in alphabetical/numerical order . . .
how hard could it be?

Now that I have been hired in a small 250 student 4-5 school as
the only media person and responsible for the computer lab
(15 Macs), fixed asset inventory (it has not been completed in
four years), media equipment (we're in a building that used to
be a high school - so I keep finding things every day), and
completing the automation process (I'm past the Dewey and
into the fiction section) of a 3400 item collection, I am beginning
to wonder how those librarians even had the time to stand around
and listen to my corny comments!

Several factors make the work very enjoyable - although endless -
at this point...  (1) the principal is a stay out of the way guy and gives
me guidance and then lets me work (no meddling or constant checking
of progress); (2) many teachers are new as well and receptive of some
of the more creative and innovative things I am doing (in my mind only
since I have no real frame of reference for what traditional methods would
be. . .); (3) I enjoy the opportunity to know what has to be done and then
being left alone until they are completed - I guess I like working alone -
but also love the challenge of sharing concepts with children when they
come in (we have blocked resource times on THU and FRI and have
set up an A and B week rotation between guidance and media);
(4) I have flex times for book checkin/out and Acclerated Reader testing
(and enjoy the interaction of serious library users and their questions!).

All that to say, we complain and grumble about our overworked and
underpaid conditions while all the while enjoying every moment ...
Although there is a lot to be said about pay and conditions (and a lot
HAS been said), I think that we have enough trivial triumphs and
subtle successes to keep us coming back every morning. . .
So, although we hear your complaints, deep down inside, we all
realize we're really hearing an expression of how much we really
love the profession we have all chosen - since we continue to
complete each task with a pep in our step and smile on our
face in spite of all the obstacles that people seem to erect in
our paths. . .

And with that, I would like to close with the Latin term for
"Don't let the bastards were you down", except I can't
recall it - so we will have to settle for the less elegant and
much more vulgar English version. . .

Aloha...

Earl J. Moniz (emoniz@christcom.net)
Reproducing and Distribution Permission Granted
WebMinion, Plebeian, and Pedestrian
emoniz@nccu.edu : emoniz@unccptv.unctv.org

LM_NET Archive Home