Well, here it is! Thanks to all you wooden-legged, patch-eyed sons and
daughters of Davy Jones out there, the drunken sailors will be dealt with
in fine fashion.

There were MANY verses and everybody had a little bit of a twist on the
words. The lyrics here are a composite of the most common ones.

Drunken sailor

     What shall we do with the drunken sailor,
     what shall we do with the drunken sailor,
     what shall we do with the drunken sailor,
     early in the morning?
     Hooray and up she rises,   (Var. way hey, hey hey, way oh, etc.)
     hooray and up she rises,
     hooray and up she rises, early in the morning.

     Put him in the longboat till he's sober.  (Var. put him in the brig)
     Put him in the longboat till he's sober.
     Put him in the longboat till he's sober.
     early in the morning?
     Hooray...

     Pull out the plug and wet him all over...

     Put him in the bilge and make him drink it...

     Put him in the scuppers with a hose-pipe on him...

     Heave him by the leg in a running bowline...

     Put him in the scrubbers with the hosepipe on him...

     Shave his legs with a rusty razor...     (Var. shave his belly, head, etc.)

     Keel haul him until he's sober...

     Put him in a bed with the captain's daughter...
          (Var. Throw him in the rack with...)

     Give him a hair of the dog that bit him...

     Put him in a leaky boat and make him bail her...

     Tie him to the topmast when she's yardarm under...

     Tie him to the wheel and call him captain...

Finale:

     That's what we'll do with the drunken sailor
     What we'll do with the drunken sailor
     What we'll do with the drunken sailor
     Earlye in the morning.

***Wishing you fair winds and following seas, rather than "a short shrift
and a lang tow" (as Alan Breck says in Kidnapped.)*** Thanks!--Gayle

Gayle Hodur
ghodur@redshift.com

LM_NET Archive Home