I've let my mail build up, since I've been busy taking care of students
and teachers and my library and the computers and the copier and the av
equipment/supplies and curriculum committee and technology committee--but
I'm sure you get my drift.  I'm don't like this idea of "one-upmanship"
that seems to be developing, as if we're bragging about how long we stay
at school after everyone else leaves.

Let's remember that we all have different responsibilities, depending on
our school's needs and the grade level(s) we serve.  We all are
professionals.  I agree that serving the student is foremost, and we do
not want to deny students access to books.  I always have my circulation
system (unautomated at this point) ready to go from the first day of
school.  However, I am NOT ready to have entire classes come to the
library immediately, and in our school students are becoming familiar
with new classes, procedures, assignments and getting back into the
routine, so they're not ready for an extended time in the library.
However, rest assured that I'm not sitting here twiddling my thumbs--it's
amazing how much work you can get done if there are fewer interruptions!

Let's support each other--not tear each other down.

And by the way--I do stay after school, a lot of times after classroom
teachers are long gone--but I DO have another life (mom, chauffeur,
errandgirl, chief cook and bottlewasher)  Now--where are those bon-bons?? :)

Betty Copeland
St. Michael's Academy
Austin, Texas
bcope@tenet.edu