Just by chance I had a copy of an ERIC Digest Article, "Information
Technology and the Informed Citizen", which begins with --
    Thomas Jefferson wrote:  If a nation expects to be ignorant and free
in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be .
. . [I]f we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the
responsibility of every American to be informed.  (Letter to Colonel
Charles Yancey, January 6, 1816).

Could this be what you're looking for?

Betty Copeland
St. Michael's Academy
Austin, Texas
bcope@tenet.edu

On Wed, 4 Sep 1996, Frances D. Aley wrote:

> Hi, LM_Netters,  We've got a real problem with a quote needed for a
> trimester project to be handed out _tomorrow_!!  I've searched and
> searched and can not find it. The quote is something to the effect of--an
> informed electorate/citizenry is the only thing that keeps democracry
> going--or words to that effect. sorry to be so vague but we've tried so
> many search terms it's all mixed up!  I told the teachers if anyone could
> help it would be you folks.  TIA
>

> web page address--http://www.biddeford.com/~fdaley
> fdaley@saturn.caps.maine.edu    Boothbay Harbor, ME.04538
> Teaching lifelong learning through the power of information!

LM_NET Archive Home