Gayle - We had our Adopt-a-book during Open House or parent conference
days.  We used the new books bought for the school year.  We placed book
plates in each book.  We charged $10.00 for one, $8.00 each for two and
so on so that parents with several children got a price break.  If you
don't have new books available, you might try your regional Bound to Stay
Bound or Permabound reps and ask them to send books for the event.
Another idea is to sell Birthday Books all year long.  I've made more
money that way than at one event, although you don't get your money all
at once.  We set aside some new books each year, charge $10, use book
plates, have a special bulletin board, list the children in the
newsletter each month, read the books in classrooms and have a party at
the end of the year.
Judy Smith
____________________________________________________________________We got
a large supply of attractive books from a local independent book dealer.
He allowed the librarian to pick the books for display, loaned them out to
us for 24 hrs without charge, billed us at 90% for those that sold, and
accepted the rest without a murmur.

As far as success:  although we did it for several years, the number
"adopted" never equaled the cost in librarian's time and labor.  Why did we
continue?  Because it was priceless pr.  First, families that donate books
feel a sense of ownership as long as their children are in the building.
Second, how better to show people what the true cost of quality children's
literature really is?

We did it during an era when the school budget was voted down every year.
We couldn't whine to the public.  That's counterproductive.  But the
parents and grandparents were able to help us by adopting books and the
public in general was able to see that such voluntary programs *really
won't take up the slack* in library budgets.  When budgets began to pass
again, the practice was discontinued.

Holly Wolf
Gayle, I am having an ADOPT-A-BOOK program right now.  I have tried a
couple of ways...including:  having a list of books teachers wanted
(we would look the price up from Bound To Stay Bound who I prefer to
order from) and allowing people to choose and donate the money
[however, this didn't work...only a couple of books were adopted];
and now I have books sent to me for preview from various vendors.

When a library vendor sends me books to preview I go through and
select the ones which would be great to add to the collection.  I
place these books out on several tables.  This is a lot better
because it allows people to actually see the books.  I place an
invitation in the teachers/staff mailboxes.  Also have it announced
over the intercom, placed in the school newsletter, and discuss the
program with students.  Last year I had an "Adopt-A-Book" form placed
inside each book that listed the price, title, author, vendor, who
adopted, occasion, and what they would like the inscription to read
on the book plate we will place inside.   I am doing it differently
this year...I only fill out one of the forms if a book is purchased...
it is saving time and paper.

Last year we adopted about 25 books when I did this.  I considered
this to be pretty good since we are in a low-economic area...but then
most of the books were purchased by faculty/staff members anyway.
We also send letters to those people/families who the books were
adopted In Honor Of/In Memory Of/etc.

Also, I have heard of some people who went through local bookstores,
such as WaldenBooks, and selected hardback books they wanted to add
to the collection.  One way is to have a list placed at the book
store and people can go by and see it, select a book & purchase, and
carry back to the school.  The other was that the book store would
let you take the books you want back to your school for people to
preview and select there.  The only probably I have with this is that
the hardback books generally are not going to be bound to library
quality and will have to be rebound, etc.  I have had this happen
with several books I have purchased from local book stores.

Tony Pope

Gayle Hodur
ghodur@redshift.com

LM_NET Archive Home